Monday, March 24, 2014

~ Milk Glass & Succulents and a Little Green for Spring

The Decorated House : Decorating with Milk Glass & Succulents

The Spring Equinox! It always brings out that longing for the green of Spring and Summer. The heat will be here soon enough, so I'm not trying to rush Summer. It does however make me want to bring more green inside for a little while.
Milk glass is one of those old fashioned goodies that I wish I had seen the beauty of years ago.  But in the past, there was so much of it at the thrift shops, it made it seem just to grandma-like for my taste. Whatever pieces I used to have were long ago given to the Goodwill. In the last few years however I have picked up some here and there if it had really nice lines. Today, you can think of so many ways to incorporate this simple and beautiful white glass into your style even if you haven't quite embraced the grandma style. The lines of the ruffled pieces are so beautiful.

I'm still experimenting with succulents inside the house. They are so extremely easy to grow outdoors, but are a bit more difficult to grow indoors. The ones on the chest right by the window are doing very well. This one  is sitting on the coffee table further away from direct window light. So we will see how it does with less light that the other plants get. For many years I always had house plants, and just got away from tending them because there was plenty of work to keeping the ones outside alive and well.  Now it's one of those things that I miss having so I'm looking for some easy to keep green lovelies this year. 

The Decorated House :: Decorating With Milk Glass & Succulents

Also some green pillows are on the sofa at the moment. What is easier that changing out pillows with the seasons! Since pillow covers are so inexpensive and easy to make, just this simple change can keep your interiors looking fresh to you. 

Again after ignoring milk glass for a while, I fell in love these ruffled bowls. Instead of too old fashioned, they actually look quite modern to me.  They remind me of some of today's lovely blown glass art pieces.

The Decorated House : Milk Glass & Succulents

I'll let you know how all these succulents do inside. They may need a bit more attention than I seem to give indoor plants. I also brought in some bromeliads from the gardens, after washing them very well, which are doing fabulous. They are air plants after all, so other than giving them too much attention, they should be very easy to keep inside.  So far all I did to them is stick them in a container, pretty them up with a bit of moss, and remember to water  the little "cup" in the center before it gets dry. Now anyone can do that!

See Y'All Soon~

5 comments:

  1. Donna,
    I adore your vignette with the ruffled milk glass bowls, dear friend!!!
    I have two basketweave handled bowls that I struggle to work into my own home decor.
    You have inspired me today to look for a simplistic approach and something other than their intended purpose. . .food!!!
    HaPpy SpRiNg!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Pat,
    Don't you love finding new things to do with what you already have!? Those basket weave bowls are so pretty too.
    Hope you have a wonderful weekend and Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just inspired me! Thanks for the boost :) Love the milk glass....and like you, thought of it in regard to grandma. The succulents are one of my favorites....and will need to get started finding some. Thanks again for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda,
    Other than nursery garden centers, I have found Home Depot carries a great selection of succulents in different sizes and prices. It's about that time of year for me to get a few more too!
    Thanks for stopping by, it's nice to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so pretty! I hope you will share it at my NEW 'Home Sweet Garden' link up party every Tuesday starting April 1st! Love your shares... Happy Spring! Brooke www.creativecountrymom.com

    ReplyDelete

Everyone loves comments! Thanks for stopping by and for taking a moment to leave a little note. (Comment moderation maybe be on at this time. Simply leave your note, and it will be published shortly.)
Donna